Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Dodged An Apartment-Sized Bullet

, , , , | Right | October 26, 2023

About ten years ago, I was contacted by a tech recruiter about a tech writer position. The client had accidentally seen my resumé and insisted upon talking to me. I went to the interview, and the client painted a wonderful picture about the job. Problem was, the position was in Austin, Texas, and for about two-thirds of what I was already making. I told her that while I appreciated her taking the time, I had no interest in moving to Austin, and I thought that would be that.

The next week, I received three calls from the recruiter, telling me that the client really wanted me for the job. Then the client called, after bullying the recruiter for my home phone number:

Client: “If you can’t afford an apartment, you could always stay at my apartment!”

After I informed her that I was married, she suddenly realized how far over she’d gone, and explained that she had no ulterior motives. She just REALLY wanted me on her team.

Fast-forward about a year. I’d been laid off and I ran into a colleague of hers at a networking event. It turns out that I wasn’t the only person to whom she’d offered space on the couch, and her company had decided to shut down her entire department when they found out about it.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!