Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Archive for 2013

Jump to page:

Not A Capital Idea

| Working | September 10, 2013

(When it gets slow at my work, one of my coworkers likes to harass one of our managers, as she tends to have very obvious blond moments.)

Coworker: “Hey, what’s the capital of Mexico?”

Manager: “Well… it’s New Mexico! Wait! No…”

(Our manager thinks about this for a few seconds, before grinning.)

Manager: “That’s a trick question! Mexico’s not part of the United States, so it doesn’t have a capital!”

Me: “This is why we like you so much.”

In Line With The Wine

| Working | September 10, 2013

(My best friend and I are customers at a very large store. It’s 12:55 am, and liquor sales end at 1 am. The cashier is ringing up our items, and stops at the bottle of wine. This isn’t the first time we’ve had troubles with this particular cashier.)

Cashier: “I can’t sell this to you. We can’t sell alcohol after 1 am.”

Me: “But… it’s not 1 am yet. We have a few minutes.”

Cashier: “Nope, register says 1 am. Can’t sell it to you.”

Best Friend: “Uh, no, your register shows 12:56. So can you please ring us up and stop wasting time?”

Cashier: “Look lady; it’s past 1 am. I CAN’T sell it to you!”

Customer Behind Us: “Just ring up the god-d*** wine, and stop wasting everyone else’s time. None of these clocks show 1 am yet. Stop being a difficult b**** and just give these girls their wine!”

(The cashier huffs and glares at the other customer, and waits until 12:59 on the dot to ring up the wine. She made everyone stand there for another few minutes! We didn’t get the manager, but we’ve never seen her there again!)

Watered Down Purchase

| Right | September 10, 2013

Coworker: “Here they come.”

Me: “Who?”

Coworker: “The ‘Drink Ladies From Hell.'”

(Five women and their five-year-old daughters enter. The kids are wearing ballet outfits, and clearly have just come from dance lessons.)

Woman: “Five waters, to go, please.”

(We fill up five Styrofoam cups of water, at no charge. The women plant themselves at a table and talk for about an hour. The kids run wild through the restaurant, pulling napkins from other tables, spilling salt and pepper, and just generally making a mess. They do this every week for more than a year. To my knowledge, they have never spent any money with us.)

Will Return In Three Days

| Right | September 10, 2013

(I am checking out a customer, who is is purchasing a Christian book.)

Customer: “This is a gift for a good friend of mine!”

Me: “Would you like a gift receipt?”

Customer: “Nope. Can’t return Jesus!”

Don’t Know What Game He Is Trying To Play

| Right | September 10, 2013

(A short line forms at my checkout counter, and the first customer in line is a confused-looking man. He’s pretty out of it, but he seems friendly enough. He sets down a few items, and while I add up the purchases he browses the cigarettes, lotto, and scratch-off tickets kept behind the counter.)

Customer: “What are the cheapest cigarettes you have?”

Me: “That would be [brand]. What flavor would you like?”

Customer: “What are the flavors?”

(I list the flavors and he chooses one. Thinking he’s finished, I ring up the cigarettes too, and give him his total. He pauses in thought.)

Customer: “Actually, can I get the menthol instead?”

Me: “Uh, sure. No problem.”

(I switch the cigarettes. Luckily they are the same price.)

Me: “Will there be anything else?”

Customer: “One lottery please.”

Me: “Okay, what game do you want to play?”

Customer: “What games are there?”

(I list the games and how much they cost.)

Customer: “One [game].”

(I print the ticket and ring it up. He takes a long pause.)

Customer: “And a [different game].”

(I print ticket and ring it up. Pause.)

Customer: “And [third game].”

(The line behind him has grown by a couple people. By this point I’m a little irked by his random impulsive decisions and sluggish pace, but I follow his requests with a smile. He then notices the scratch-off ticket display.)

Customer: “What games are these?”

Me: *sighs*

(I go over the games and costs and he proceeds to pick them one at a time, despite my asking if there’s multiple things I can get him at once. The whole transaction has gone on for longer than five minutes now. Once he’s done, he drops a wad of crumpled up cash and loose change on my counter. I count out what he owes while he stares blankly. As I finish counting his change, I’m about to finally cash out the transaction.)

Customer: “Can I have another [scratch-off game]?”

Me: “Will that be it, sir? Is there anything else you want right now?”

Customer: “No.”

(I silently fume, but add the ticket and take the additional money for it. He stares at the change left in front of him.)

Customer: “Do I need more money?”

Me: “NO! You are all paid for! You are good to go. All set.”

(He gathers his pile of goods, tickets and change and leaves. Finally, the clearly annoyed customers still in line move forward.)

Next Customer: “Well, that must have been frustrating.”

Me: “Tell me about it.”

(I ring up the next customer quickly and easily and he leaves. Five seconds later, he comes back in.)

Next Customer: “He’s pissing on your sidewalk.”

Me: “WHAT?!”

(Lo and behold, only about 20 feet outside the door, the first customer has his fly open and is urinating on the side of the sidewalk, in broad daylight.)

Me: “HEY YOU, STOP IT!”

(The customer looks up, stops and zips up his fly. He then begins to walk back towards me and the store.)

Customer: “I’m so sorry; I didn’t know you couldn’t. I didn’t know.”

(As a gesture of peace, he offers me his hand that had been previously occupied only few seconds before.)

Me: “JUST GO!”