Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Burst Pipes And Shattered Hearts

, , , , , | Right | CREDIT: natedog2049 | April 11, 2024

I work in a hotel. A couple of nights ago, I received a call from the front desk at a neighboring property, telling me about a lady who was in their lobby. To sum up the situation: this lady was a local who said her pipes had frozen and burst, causing a flood in her home which she rents. The landlord was out of town for the holidays and she needed a place to stay. She had four kids with her as well.

The front desk attendant explained to me that her manager wasn’t on duty, so she couldn’t get permission to lower the room rates. She wanted to know what my property’s rates were. I said I had permission to lower rates in certain circumstances and to send the guest my way. She told me how grateful the guest sounded after being told this and to expect her shortly, as she only had a certain amount of money.

A few minutes later, this visibly distraught woman appeared in my lobby, and I proceeded to offer my condolences on the situation. She thanked me and even showed me pictures of the damage. She then went on to ask what my rates were and if she’d be allowed to stay for two nights. I explained that we’d need a card to be authorized for the full two nights plus tax, and I saw her face drop. The woman asked me if there was any way possible to only authorize one, as she gets paid shortly and the rest of the funds would be on her card by checkout time.

Let me be clear. I know the policy. I also know what it is like to be in a bad situation and seemingly alone with nobody who can help. So, I decided to authorize her card for one night and made keys for the room for two. She thanked me multiple times, and I felt good about myself for being in a position to help.

This good feeling only lasted a short while, however.

Two days later, I received a call from my general manager at home informing me that this lady and her four kids skipped out on the bill when she came down to ask that her room be extended… and her card declined. Since I was the one who had checked her in — and chose to try to do a good deed — I was responsible for the unpaid nights.

This both infuriated me and saddened me. I am not mad with my company, my boss, or even myself. I knew the rules and consequences. What is getting to me is the lack of ethics in this world. Desperate people making unwise choices is one thing. But to take advantage of someone who offers assistance and a listening ear in a troubling time? Lesson learned. Be very careful who you choose to trust.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!