Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Broken Parts But Happy Hearts

, , , , , | Healthy | March 14, 2024

I work in an orthopedic office, so I see a lot of broken legs and feet, and I do my best to make sure that I’m happy and joking with the patients when I check them out of their appointments. Sometimes the jokes are a little off-kilter, but I figure if I can make a patient laugh when they’re not feeling well, I’m doing okay.

A patient is pushed up to my desk in a wheelchair with his family in attendance.

Me: “How are you?”

Patient: “I’m… I guess I’m doing all right. How about you?”

Me: “Well, I’m not in a wheelchair, so I guess I’m doing great!”

Patient: “Oh, yeah? Are you calling me out?! I tell you what. Give me three weeks to get healed up, and you and I will go a few rounds. We’ll see who’s in the wheelchair then!”

Me: “Ah. I’ll start training today, then.”

The patient laughed, his family laughed, and I laughed. He was a good sport and not at all upset about the fact that he was injured. It was a good interaction.

And then, after he was checked out and ready to leave:

Patient: “Three weeks!”

Me: “I’ll be ready!”

I will not be ready, but I will see him again in three weeks. And I have no doubt that he will be fully capable of putting ME in the wheelchair.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!