Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

A Major Minor Attitude

, , , , , | Working | May 23, 2024

At my job, minors are forbidden from touching any of the heavy-duty equipment. That’s probably commonplace at most jobs (or not — I’m unsure), but the chain I work for is extremely strict with it. (At the very least, they don’t mess around with it at my store.)

In fact, when you’re hired you are told one of two things. If you are a minor: do not touch the equipment. If you are not: if they ask you to run the equipment for them, they’re not being lazy. They can’t use it. No matter your position within the store, everyone is told this, and even if you forget, there is a laminated sheet on EVERY PIECE OF EQUIPMENT that says this.

In fact, minors aren’t trained at all on how to use heavy-duty equipment beyond the emergency stop button. 

I was pushing in a cart of cardboard when I heard some yelling. Two of my coworkers were in an argument. [Coworker #1] is still a minor, while I know that [Coworker #2] is somewhere in her thirties.

Apparently, [Coworker #1] was throwing cardboard in the baler, which is fine, and asked [Coworker #2] to turn it on for her.

This set [Coworker #2] off, as she went on about “effing lazy teenagers” and such, and refused to do it, even threatening to go straight to a manager. I backed [Coworker #1] up, stressing that she couldn’t use it.

[Coworker #2] did not like that. A manager was passing by, heard the commotion, and asked what was going on. This manager is great, as she does back us up, doesn’t mess around with safety, and also has endless patience 99.9% of the time.

This is the .1%.

[Coworker #2] told her everything, and [Coworker #1] and I both nodded along, agreeing.

Coworker #2: “…and I am so sick of these stupid, lazy, and disrespectful teenagers! If you don’t—”

Manager: “They’re minors. They cannot legally touch the equipment. You were told this during your orientation, and we had a safety meeting last month where we reminded people that they couldn’t use them. There’s a sheet on the machines that says they can’t use them. If you aren’t comfortable running the machine, then there are plenty of other employees who can. Get one of them.”

Honestly, I did feel as though [Manager] was giving [Coworker #2] too much of the benefit of the doubt that maybe it got missed and she wasn’t told within her probation, but this was clearly a last-chance mini-lecture.

[Coworker #2] was then told to do some work up front, and I helped [Coworker #1] with the baler. At the next morning meeting, while [Coworker #2] was not specifically called out, it was said that minors couldn’t use the machines, and if anyone was caught yelling at them to use them, there would be write-ups.

[Coworker #1] was old enough the next day, and I taught her how to run the machine.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!