Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

A Lack Of Empathy Is Ripping The Fabric Of Society

, , , , | Right | February 13, 2024

I work for a very popular, worldwide grocery store that sells a little bit of everything. An older woman approaches me asking if we have any flannel. So far, so good.

I show her our selection. We don’t have the solid color she wants, and she seems a little grouchy about this, but, hey, I’ve dealt with it plenty of times.

She soon chooses a plaid patterned flannel and wants two yards. I cut out the two yards she wants. As soon as I do, though, I realize that someone has taken the handheld device I need to price it. I apologize and quickly go find another one.

As soon as I come back, I have to boot the thing up. The woman seems a little irritated but so far remains silent. I get the device up and try to log into the app that lets me price the fabric, but it’s not letting me.

Me: “I’m very sorry, ma’am, but I’m having a little trouble logging into the handheld.”

Customer: “Well, I need this fabric today!”

Me: “I understand, ma’am. Let me try rebooting it.”

I try to reboot the device, but lo and behold, it still won’t let me log in.

Me: “Ma’am, I’m sorry, but there must be something wrong with the device. Let me go get another one.”

Customer: “All right, you go do that.”

I go and get another handheld. Uh-oh, this one won’t let me log in, either.

Me: “Ma’am, I’m so sorry, but I’m still having issues. Let me try rebooting this device.”

Customer: “Well, I need this fabric done in ten minutes!”

This handheld still isn’t letting me log in. I’m at a loss here.

Me: “Ma’am, I’m very sorry. I’m not sure what’s going on here. Let me go get a manager for you.”

She then grabs the fabric, pulls it toward her, and then points at the sticky notes and pen on my counter.

Customer: “Just let me write my name and number and I’ll pay for this another day!”

Me: “I’m sorry, ma’am, but you can’t take an item without paying for it.”

Customer: “But I need this fabric today!

Me: “I understand that, ma’am. Let me get a manager and see if they can find another way to ring it up.”

She then just huffs at me and throws the fabric at me before stomping off and yelling.

Customer: “I might be back!” 

After she left, I realized that I must still be logged into the device the person stole. I got a coworker to log in for me, got the fabric priced, and left it on the table for the customer as I escaped into the break room to calm down.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!