Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Unfiltered Story #247417

, , , , | Unfiltered | November 12, 2021

Black Friday sales don’t include Payroll

(I am the payroll processor for a nationwide Italian-themed family-style restaurant, which means I am responsible for ensuring that approximately 4,000 employees are paid accurately and timely. Our payday falls on Tuesday. This year, it was the Tuesday after Thanksgiving, which means that we had to adjust our processing time to account for the holiday. I arrive on Monday at 7:45 AM, step away from my desk to get water and put my lunch in the refrigerator, since I don’t have to be clocked in until 8, and come back to three missed calls and 2 voicemails from the same number. The following happens when I call back.)

Me: Good morning, my name is [my name] and I am the payroll processor for [Restaurant]. May I speak to [employee name] please?

Employee: *in a heavy Boston accent* Yeah, speaking, how are you?

Me: I’m well, thank you, how are you?

Employee: Not too good. I’m wondering where my money is. I normally get paid on Friday but nothing has hit my account yet and nothing is pending.

Me: [Employee name], we get paid on Tuesdays, so technically you wouldn’t have your money until tomorrow.

Employee: Don’t tell me that technical sh*t. I have a card that lets me get paid 2 days early and I have never had a problem with it until now.

Me: Well have you- *cuts me off*

Employee: Listen, I’m a little ign’nt when it comes to all of this but I’ve been working with [restaurant] since May and it always comes through. It was delayed 2 other times but has always come through.

Me: Were those other 2 times holidays?

Employee: I don’t remember when it was but I know I had my money. All I know is that it isn’t here and it isn’t pending. Nothing is showing as pending.

Me: [Employee name], have you spoken to your bank about this?

Employee: Yeah and they said nothing was pending. They don’t see anything coming over. Is there something you can give me to go back to them and say “look here” or y’know “this is what’s going on?” Anything like that?

Me: Well- *cuts me off again*

Employee: Like can you give me a routing number or something?

Me: Unfortunately, I can’t give out the company’s banking information but I can tell you that you’re being paid [exact amount]. Have you made any changes to your direct deposit recently? *starts checking audit and pay history*

Employee: No, it’s always been the same.

Me: *sees no changes on history* I’m seeing that here as well. No changes have been made, so you’ll be paid to the same account-

Employee: You’re not helping at all! Can you give me something concrete to go back to them and say “this is what’s happening?” Like, I can’t just go back and say “they said they sent it.” I need something to show them.

Me: *logging into our bank account to double check that our direct deposit file uploaded successfully.* I understand that, but- *cuts me off AGAIN*

Employee: I need something to show them so they can look into it. Something concrete. I got bills to pay that are late because of this.

Me: [Employee name], I understand. Unfortunately, the most I can give you is the amount and that you can rest assured that you will be paid- *cuts me off AGAIN*

Employee: There’s nothing PENDING.

Me: I understand there’s nothing pending, but I just verified that everything went through on our end and it did. I can even see that you’re on the file. *employee huffs annoyedly* I’m sorry there’s nothing more I can give you. Your payday is technically tomorrow so that is when your funds will hit.

Employee: Mm hm. Don’t hit me with that technicality bullsh*t. And what if it isn’t there tomorrow?

Me: Then you can call us back and we can go from there.

Employee: *gets more aggressive* I can’t wait until then. It’ll be too late. I got six kids. I got their gifts on layaway that I have to pay and I got bills and y’all can’t give me anything else? This is some bullsh*t.

Me: [Employee name]- *cuts me off*
Employee: I worked Thanksgiving and I worked all week. I only get 2 days off a week: Monday and Tuesday. Those are the only days I get to handle my personal things, like my bills, but I can’t pay my bills because my money isn’t on my card. And it isn’t pending. Why isn’t it there?

Me: [Employee name], it is probably because of the holiday. I’m sure if you just wait until tomorrow, it’ll be there.

Employee: *gets more aggressive* you keep saying that but you aren’t giving me much to go off here. I got six other people who use these pay cards at my store and we are ALL paid between Friday and Sunday. We ain’t never had a problem before. ALL of us are paid Friday, Saturday, or Sunday.

Me: *thinking finally, new information* Okay, have you spoken to them? Do they have their funds yet?

Employee: *shouting accusingly and more aggressively* You thought I didn’t speak to them yet? We all talked this morning and no one got their funds. Dumb b*tch. You being ign’nt.

Me: *getting red in the checks from anger, but still maintaining professionalism* Okay, I’m going to have to ask that you tone it down a little. If you continue to get rude with me, I’m going to have to end this call. Now, I’ve helped all I can. I’ve told you the amount you’re being paid and verified that everything has gone through. You will be paid tomorrow.

Employee: Listen here, you ignorant b*tch. There’s no-

I terminated the call and immediately emailed his store manager and my corporate supervisor to explain the situation. I also explained that I verified that everything is going through successfully and that he will be paid the next day.

It turns out, he was paid the next day successfully. There was an error on his bank’s end that they resolved the next morning. Pro tip: get a real bank account and don’t depend on those pay cards!

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!