Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Unfiltered Story #127620

, , | Unfiltered | November 24, 2018

(Near the beginning of the week, I had two short and quiet shifts of training on the customer service desk with another coworker. As I am terrified of talking on the phone during our training she took all the calls. It’s the end of the same week and I’m on the service desk alone for the first time. Most customers have been really good about mistakes and speed when I apologize and say that I’m just learning. An elderly woman comes up to the desk.)

Customer: Can you call me a taxi?

Me: Sure. (I pause for a moment for instructions, but she just stares at me.) Though, I’m just learning the service desk and I actually haven’t ever called a taxi in my life, so how do you want me to do this?

Customer: The number is [XXX-XXXX]. It should be [Name] Taxi.

(I carefully dial the number, but I forget to pick a line to dial out on and have to have her give me the number again while I try dialing again. The phone begins ringing on the other side and by this point I’m trembling.)

Taxi Service: Hello, this is [Name] Taxi. How may I help you?

Me: Hello. C-can I get a taxi at [Store]?

Taxi Service: Yes. And that would be for…?

Me: Huh?

Taxi Service: The name?

Me: (looks to customer) Er–?

Customer: It’s Pam.

Me: For Pam.

Taxi Service: Alright.

Me: (pause) Goodbye?

Taxi Service: Have a nice day.

(I hang up)

Customer: So how long will that be?

Me: (internally panicking) They, uh, they didn’t say.

Customer: Hmp. You should’ve asked.

Me: I’m sorry. I didn’t think to. I’m just learning… never called a taxi before, so I’m really sorry–

Customer: (stalks off, loudly muttering) Asleep on the job, are we?

Next Customer in Line: Cranky person, are we?

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!