Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Working Is Hard. Get Over It.

, , , , , | Working | October 19, 2021

[Acquaintance] works at a school part-time; it’s not an easy job and not for everyone. But the problem is that [Acquaintance] has been told for so long by so many people how hard her job must be. Not only does she believe it, but she thinks no one has a harder job than she does. Half of her day is spent stood in a classroom not teaching but there just in case.

I’m at a gathering with several friends and acquaintances. The subject of jobs has come up, and we have all listened to her preach about what she does and how hard it is for some time.

One of [Acquaintance]’s friends tries to steer the conversation away.

Friend: *To me* “Didn’t you start a new job recently?”

Me: “Yes, actually, thanks for asking. It’s pretty cool. I’m working for a military contractor. Big budget, really small deadline. It’s stressful but I’m really enjoying it.”

Acquaintance: “Ha, stress. If you want stress, try teaching.”

Again [Acquaintance] isn’t a teacher.

Friend: “Well, I think a lot of jobs are stressful for different reasons. Wouldn’t you say, [My Name]?”

Me: “Sure, I mean my job can be stressful just by what’s at stake.”

Acquaintance: “Yeah, well, okay, but we are talking about the next generation, shaping future minds.”

Friend: “Look. I love you, but seriously, it’s not all about you. And besides, you help out, not teach, and by what you’ve been saying for the last half-hour, it’s mostly playing games.”

Acquaintance: “I can’t believe this.”

She looks around for validation but finds none.

Acquaintance: “Fine! I can’t believe you lot. No respect for us hard-working, underpaid teachers.”

She storms off. A guy I’ve not met before chimes in.

Guy: “We are underpaid and undervalued, but she is completely nuts.”

Turned out the guy was a teacher, working with children with additional needs. Super guy, really humble and down to earth. We stayed in touch for years after.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!