Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

When They Only Deal With The Person Who Has Connections

, , , , , | Right | December 3, 2023

There’s been a major storm in a part of the USA, so all flights to our airport have been canceled or rerouted. I am working at our airline’s customer support desk to help our delayed passengers. Everyone is annoyed, but most understand that because it’s a weather event, there’s not much we can do.

And then, there’s this guy.

Customer: “This is ridiculous! You can’t land a plane because of a little rain?”

Me: “It’s a hurricane, sir, so it’s more than just the rain. The wind and—”

Customer: “I don’t want to hear it! I want you to get me on the next flight!”

Me: “That’s what we’re attempting to do, sir. All flights are canceled until tomorrow so I can get you on the earliest that is—”

Customer: “Are you intentionally being belligerent, or are you simply that stupid? You will get me to my destination on a flight that leaves today! To… day!

Me: “Sir, I can’t do—”

Customer: *Suddenly screaming like he’s being tortured* “MAAAAAANAGER! MANAGERRRR!”

My supervisor comes over due to the racket and hears this jerk’s complaint.

Supervisor: “So, to get us all on the same page, offering you a flight direct to Miami tomorrow morning and a hotel stay tonight is not acceptable? You must be on a flight bound for Miami today?”

Customer: “Yes! It’s today or nothing!”

Supervisor: “I suppose we could—”

Customer: “Stop talking and just give me my plane tickets!”

Supervisor: “Okay, let me see what I can do.”

I see my supervisor look through some options on the system. Then, he hands the customer some new tickets.

Supervisor: “Here you go. The flight leaves in an hour from gate [number]. Better hurry.”

Customer: “Finally! Incompetent idiots the lot of you!”

The customer races off toward his gate, and I turn to my supervisor.

Me: “When will he realize he’s on a flight to Atlanta?”

Supervisor:Connecting flight, [My Name]. His final destination is Miami. He just won’t get there until tomorrow, same as if he stayed in a hotel tonight and took the morning direct flight tomorrow. I gave him exactly what he asked for.”

He then called ahead to the staff at the gate and talked to the crew there about the customer. They said they would make sure to explain his connection if he kicked up a fuss, including the overnight layover in an airport, and that because he had accepted this substitution, he was no longer eligible for a hotel stay and direct flight tomorrow on us.

He was somehow even more upset at the gate than he was at the customer service counter!

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!