Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Very Aggressive Charity

, , , , | Right | July 3, 2020

The supermarket where I work rents space to a popular coffee chain. The rental agreement makes it so the chain has to use supermarket employees and the supermarket’s register system. Because of this, we are unable to redeem gift cards for the coffee chain. We have an 8.5-by-11-inch sign indicating this on top of the register.

I am working alone and had a few people in line, a mother with her kids, a woman, and a guy. I have just finished making the mother’s order and am ringing her out.

Me: “It’s going to be [total].”

Mother: *Holds out a gift card* “I’m not sure how much is on this.”

Me: “Sorry, but we are unable to redeem [Chain]’s gift cards.”

I point to the sign.

Mother: “Oh, sorry. Give me a minute.”

Woman: “Let me get that for you.”

Mother: *To the woman* “That’s all right, but thank you.” *To me* “Is it all right if I use change?”

Me: “Yeah, sure.”

Woman: *To me* “I got her order.” *To the mother* “Go ahead and take your coffee, dear.”

Mother: “No, no. It’s all right.”

The woman then moved over to our card reader and got ready to slide her card.

Mother: “Really, I’m all set.” *Hands me the money*

I ring her out and give her the change.

Me: “Have a nice day.” *To the woman* “What can I get you?”

Woman: “First, you can give me that woman’s money so I can give it back to her.”

Me: “I’m sorry, ma’am, but I cannot just give you money from my register, and since she declined your charity, I must respect that.”

Woman: “You’re a f****** a**hole, you know that?”

Me: *Surprised* “I’m sorry you feel that way. Is there anything you want to order?”

Woman: “Gimme a [drink] and put that woman’s order on mine so I can give her the money.”

Me: *Starts her coffee* “I’m sorry, ma’am, but I can’t do that.”

Woman: “F*** you! She was embarrassed! That’s why she didn’t want the charity.”

Me: *Finishing her order* “I’m sorry, ma’am, but she refused to let you pay for her and gave me her money. I cannot just give you her money as it needs to be refunded in the system and I can’t do that from here.”

Woman: “You’re an a**hole! She was embarrassed!”

Me: *Rings in order* “That’ll be [total for just her drink].”

The guy in line behind her has now walked away.

Woman: “Put her coffee on there and give me her money so I can give it back!”

Me: “I’m sorry, ma’am, I cannot.”

I glance over to the employee out on the sales floor for help.

Me: “Can you please pay for your order?”

She slides her card through the reader.

Woman: “You’re a f****** a**hole! She was embarrassed! I’m going to have you fired!”

Thankfully, her card goes through with no problem.

Me: *Holds out her receipt* “Thank you. Have a nice day.”

Woman: *Walks off* “F*** you!”

She then stormed off, and about fifteen minutes later a manager came by and told me she tried to complain about me, but the guy that was behind her and left was nearby and defended me. The manager gave me one of the supermarket’s employee reward gift cards. It’s been a few years since this happened, and the woman still comes in regularly, and every time the person in front of her has some issue, she offers to pay. Thankfully, there haven’t been any more incidents like this one.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!