Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

They Want The Fries, Not The Fried Rice

, , , , | Right | January 17, 2024

I work in a Chinese dim sum restaurant. A family has made a booking, and they call ahead.

Caller: “Hi, we have the table for ten at 12:30. My three-year-old daughter is super fussy and only eats fries without having a tantrum. Is it okay if we bring her some fries from [Fast Food Place] to eat while the rest of us order off the menu?”

Me: “That should be fine, ma’am, although we’d prefer them to be eaten from a plate and not from the [Fast Food Place] packaging.”

Caller: “Oh, that won’t be a problem! Thanks so much!”

The family turns up and orders their food, and the little girl happily eats her fries while watching shows on the iPad.

Another family across from them also has some small children. The matriarch of that table calls me over.

Customer: “Can we get some fries for the kids?”

Me: “I’m afraid we don’t have fries on the menu, ma’am.”

Customer: *Pointing to the other table* “But they have fries.”

Me: “They brought those themselves, ma’am. We didn’t provide them.”

Customer: “But my kids want fries.”

Me: “Then you will need to provide them, ma’am. We can’t do that.”

Customer: “You shouldn’t let other kids eat fries in here! Now my kids saw it, and they want them, too!”

Me: “That’s not my responsibility, ma’am. If your children won’t eat anything on the menu, then you’re free to bring along an alternative. Or you could explain to them what I have just explained to you.”

Customer: “You call that service?”

Me: “No, I call that parenting.”

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!