Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

There’s “Thank You” And Then There’s Literally Putting Your Money Where Your Mouth Is

, , , , | Right | CREDIT: RealPokesatsu | September 11, 2021

I work at a grocery store where, as a bagger and stocker, sometimes I help people take groceries to their cars. I don’t mind doing so because I like taking a breather before going back to work. I never expected anything in return.

A few days ago, a woman I’ve helped a few times stopped me before I went back inside. She gave me $20.

I told her I couldn’t accept it because I didn’t do that much to help her, and she might need it for something later on. She looked a bit sad.

Customer: “Honey, I’ve been shopping here every Thursday afternoon since this store opened. I’ve met so many employees over the past few years, but none… none… have offered to help me load groceries into my car. The cashier usually asks, and then if I say yes, the bagger looks annoyed and does a rushed job. I’ve had crushed bread and broken eggs, and one even stole some sandwich meat from me. However, I’ve heard you ask every customer if they need help to their cars. Usually, they say no, but you at least offer. Take this as a thank you from us old folk and back pay tips from the past few trips. At least let me do this for you. I know this job probably doesn’t pay well right now.”

I didn’t know what to say. She stuffed the $20 in my shirt pocket, patted my chest, and walked to the front of her car. As she got in, she asked me how much the job pays and why I was here.

Me: “$8.25 an hour, but it’ll be $10 by the end of the year. I’m getting my own apartment soon, I’m saving up for a car, and my hobbies cost a pretty penny sometimes. I take every hour I can get.”

She nodded, said to have a good day, and drove off. When I got my new schedule for the next week, I was working every day but Saturday. This was odd, so I asked my manager if something went wrong or if someone quit. He said no.

Manager: “Make sure your apartment is always clean, show me your car when you get it, and if your hobbies are expensive from time to time, let me know when you need more hours to afford them.”

[Customer] asked my manager to give me more hours. I almost cried. I never expected anything in return. I just wanted to save money so I can move out of my mom’s boyfriend’s house and get my life together. Now, that might be easier.

THANK YOU, [CUSTOMER]!


This story is part of our end-of-year Feel Good roundup for 2021!

Read the next Feel Good 2021 story!

Read the Feel Good 2021 roundup!

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!