Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

The Wheels Of Stereotypes Still Go Around

, , , | Right | August 14, 2020

I am a female tire fitter; it’s a profession that has mostly male workers. I get a lot of weird reactions to me being a female. We are a small department, so when the phone rings, all the phones ring, and whoever is free can answer.

Me: “[Well-Known Tire Shop], this is [My Name]. How can I help you?”

The caller is also female.

Caller: “Yes, hello. I would like to know the price of some tires.”

Me: “Then you called the right place; what size tires are you looking for?”

Caller: “It’s for a Ford.”

Me: “That is great; do you remember the size?”

Caller: *Obviously annoyed* “That is your job.”

Me: “Okay, do you remember your license plate number?”

She gives me the number.

Me: “So, I estimate that you have not changed the rim size since you bought the car; in that case, the size would be [size]. Now, what price range and qualities are you looking for?”

Caller: “I bought some summer tires from you last year; I want the exact same! But in winter.”

Me: “All right, and what brand was that?”

Caller: “Ford.”

Me: “Yes, ma’am, but what brand were the tires?”

Caller: *Extremely annoyed* “Don’t you know your job?! Tires for Ford!”

Me: “I understand that, ma’am, but there are no tires made specifically for Ford, as most brands fit. It’s the qualities of the tires that differ.”

Caller: “You are making me unsure of the whole purchase. I want tires for a Ford!”

Me: “These are the best tires we have: [Popular Brand], and those would be [price]. That is the total cost with the job included; how does that sound?”

Caller: “And those are for Ford?”

Me: “Yes, ma’am, if the size I’ve guessed is right, these will fit your car fine.”

Caller: “Are those the same tires I got last year?”

Me: “I’m sorry, but I don’t know, ma’am. If you could physically check the tires you are talking about, I will tell you if they are the same brand and size.”

Caller: “Don’t you know anything?! I need tires for a Ford! You are making me very unsure. Last time I spoke to a man; I want to speak to a man!”

Me: *Fed up* “Of course you can speak to a man.”

I transferred her to a male colleague, who then sold her exactly the same tires I tried to sell her with no problems from her.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!