Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

The Great Filipino State Of Oregon

, , , , | Right | September 16, 2019

(The call center I work at does tech support for software. I am in the USA but customers can be routed to any of our call centers around the world. My specific site has a policy about not telling customers our exact location.)

Me: “Thank you for calling [Product] support. My name is [My Name]. Can I get your first name, please?”

Customer: “Where are you located?”

Me: *slightly thrown off by the response* “Um… I’m in the USA.”

Customer: “What part of the USA?”

Me: “I’m in the Pacific Northwest.”

Customer: “No, you’re not.”

Me: “Excuse me?”

Customer: “No, you’re not. I know you’re in the Philippines.”

Me: “Sorry, but you are mistaken. I’ve lived in the Pacific Northwest my whole life. Besides that, what can I help you with today?”

Customer: *now half shouting* “Don’t lie to me! I can tell from your accent! I am a professional linguist and specialize in accents; I can tell the difference! How dare you lie to me?!” *now full-on shouting* “I want to speak to your manager! I’m going to report you for lying to me and shipping hard-working American jobs overseas!”

Me: “Since you refuse to state what your issue is and are needlessly hostile and insulting, I am going to end this call. Thank you for calling [Company] and have a nice day.”

Customer: “Don’t you dare…” *click*

(Some linguist, if they can’t tell the difference between a Filipino accent and a rural Oregon accent.)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!