Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

That Is What We Call A Texas Goodbye

, , , , | Right | July 16, 2021

I work in a call center while in college since the flexible hours work around my classes. Our main company has a lot of people calling in with questions on where to find products, issues, etc. During peak call times, wait times can be over an hour, so most people are already on edge by the time they finally get through to me and my coworkers. Our managers have the ability to monitor any of our calls in real time to spot-check our performance.

Near the end of my shift, I get this delightful caller whose queue time is roughly forty-five minutes.

Me: “Good afternoon, thank you for calling [Company]. How may I assist you today?”

Caller:Finally. First, where is your call center located? And why are you talking like that?”

Me: *A little confused* “Our customer assistance center is located in Texas but we have offices all over the country. Is there something I can help you with today?”

Caller: *Scoffs* “They tell you to say that, hmmm? And you can drop that fake accent! Where are you really?!”

Me: “Ma’am, I really am in Texas. Now, is there something I can help you with today?”

Caller:Stop lying! I’ve been on hold for hours and I demand to know why you’re faking that American accent!”

Me: “Ma’am, I don’t know what to tell you. Do you have an issue or question with a [Company] product?”

Caller: “WE DON’T MAKE AMERICANS WORK IN CALL CENTERS! THAT’S WHY WE HAVE ROBOTS AND INDIA!”

At this point, I’m so tired and downright mad at the caller that I disconnect the call, an absolute no-no in my office, even for this type of behavior. I take a deep, steadying breath and see my supervisor poke his head around my cubicle, still wearing his headset. I’m certain I’m about to be fired. 

The supervisor takes one look at my face.

Supervisor: “Don’t you hate when a call just drops like that? Now she’ll have to go to the back of the queue and start over.” *Walks away*

I’ve never risked hanging up on another caller but I was so grateful my supervisor had my back.


This story is part of our Best Of July 2021 roundup!

Read the next Best Of July 2021 roundup story!

Read the Best Of July 2021 roundup!

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!