Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Shot Himself In The Foot

, , , | Right | September 13, 2018

(I work for one of the major energy suppliers in the UK in the department that deals with accounts where payment has not been made for at least 18 months. We administer the accounts and try and contact the customer to resolve the issue while the warrant team begins preparations for a warrant to enter the customer’s home to have a prepayment meter installed. Obviously, we try very hard to ensure it doesn’t get that far. As you can imagine, we get many calls from customers who are furious to get a letter advising them of court action. Once, I get a call from a guy who has received a letter advising him that our agents are coming to his property in two days with said warrant.)

Me: “Hi, you’re through to [Company], [Department]. My name is [My Name]. Can you confirm your name, the first line of your address, and your date of birth for security?”

(The guy on the phone does as I ask calmly, confirming all his details, and I pull up his account.)

Me: “Okay, how may I help you today? Are you calling to make a payment?”

Customer: “No, I’m f****** well not. I’m calling to let you know that if you send your bailiffs round, I’ll shoot them. I’ve got a gun; I’ve shot bailiffs before!”

(We don’t use bailiffs; we do not remove property. We are just there to fit the meter because we have a duty to prevent the debt getting out of hand, and it is a last resort. This customer has never answered a single call or letter in the past two years, and has never made a single payment, either.)

Me: “I’m sorry, sir, but we take gun threats very seriously. I am going to have to call the team and advise them to request a police escort when coming to your property, which will incur an additional charge.”

Customer: “Send whoever the f*** you want. I’ll shoot the police. I’ll shoot your guys. I have tonnes of guns. I’ve shot and killed people before!”

Me: “I’m terribly sorry, sir, but I am obligated to report this threat.”

Customer: “Do whatever the f*** you want. I’m not paying this bill. Why should I? If anyone gets near my house I’ll f****** shoot their f****** heads off!” *hangs up*

(It is company policy to report any threats of guns, violence against our field agents, or bombs, even if we suspect the customer doesn’t mean what they say or are clearly joking. I filled out the appropriate form, and then contacted my manager who listened to the call and then contacted the police, per protocol. A few days later a huge complaint was called in from this customer, furious that we had the gall to call the police on him. They went to his house, knocked down his door, and searched his house for weapons, and while the police were doing this our warrant guys fitted his meter. Luckily, I was on a break when he called, but my manager informed me that she told him that it was policy to do that and that perhaps next time he’d think twice before threatening people who have his name and address! Moral of the story: don’t mention guns, and especially never say you’re going to shoot the police; they will not take it lightly.)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!