Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Please Take Better Notice Of My Notice

, , , , | Working | February 27, 2024

I hand in my two weeks’ notice on a Friday. I’m not sure if the two weeks include the day I hand it in or not, so I write down that my last day will also be a Friday, just in case.

The next week, I notice that my schedule still has me on for the Saturday after. After debating with myself whether or not that is my problem, I speak to the manager on duty.

Manager #1: “It’s fine. They probably just didn’t bother to remove it. They’ll have found someone to cover it since you’ve handed in your notice.”

There is an incident on my last Wednesday where I think I am having a heart attack (I wasn’t) and sit in A&E (Accident & Emergency) for hours. The manager that day is reassuring that he really doesn’t care if I work or not since I’ve already handed in my notice, and he tells me just to phone to let them know whether or not I can do the Friday. Since the A&E doctor says there was nothing wrong with me and to just have some paracetamol (acetaminophen) if it hurts again, I phone work on Thursday and say I can come in for my last shift. (I found out later that the doctor put a note on my discharge saying it was due to anxiety.)

I work my last shift on the Friday. It gets to seven minutes past my end time, and I decide, “F*** it. I’m done. I’m not waiting for permission to leave on my last day.” So, I say, “Goodbye forever,” to the people on shift with me and just go.

On Saturday, I get a phone call from a different manager — who I’ve never really gotten along with.

Manager #2: “Where are you?”

Me: “I already checked with [Manager #1] about this. Yesterday was my last day.”

Manager #2: “Your notice says your last day is today.”

I frantically look for my copy of my notice to double-check because I know my memory is s*** and I’m terrified I misremembered the day. But no, I did write down Friday; I’m just being lied to again. I tell [Manager #2] this.

Manager #2: *Getting mad* “You should’ve told someone the schedule was wrong!”

Me: “I did. I spoke to [Manager #1].”

There were several long seconds of uncomfortable silence before I remembered I didn’t actually need his permission to hang up, so I said bye and hung up.

I’m so glad I’m done with that place, but now I’m worried that their reference will claim I didn’t complete my notice. (Also, I saw my general doctor, who figured out what the chest pain problem was; it’s nothing serious but also not just me being an anxious mess.)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!