Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Not An Interview You Want To Pass(word)

| Working | March 14, 2014

(I’ve been called in for an interview at a store. Things seem to be going well until…)

Interviewer: “All right, so all I need is your Facebook password.”

Me: “Excuse me?”

Interviewer: “I need your Facebook password. We do this as part of a check to make sure you’re not using social media for criminal activities.”

Me: “I think I’m going to pass. Thank you for the opportunity, but this job isn’t for me.”

Interviewer: “What’s the problem?! Do you have something to hide?”

Me: “Not at all. It’s just that if I mention a disability, political stance, or religion that I may have on Facebook, and you saw that, it would be the same as asking me and that’s illegal.”

Interviewer: “Uh…”

Me: “Also, giving out my password to my Facebook account, or even just letting you access my account at ALL is a violation of Facebook policy. If I violate Facebook’s policy just to make you happy, how could you trust me to not violate [Company]’s policies?”

Interviewer: “Er…”

Me: “As I said, thank you for the opportunity, but this company isn’t the right company for me.”

(Interestingly enough, asking for Facebook passwords or access to Facebook accounts became illegal in several states in January of 2013 shortly after it was reported on by several news companies.)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!