Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Falling With Stylus

| Working | March 13, 2014

(I have a 10″ tablet. I enter a popular tech store to buy a stylus and a new screen protector as the one on the tablet is peeling off. I go over to the stylus area first and an employee approaches me. She shows me the different types of styluses.)

Me: “I’d like one that’s quite fine so I can handwrite and sketch with this app.”

(I bring up the app. The employee proudly brandishes the most expensive stylus at me.)

Employee: “This one is the only one that will do what you want. Have a try with the prototype.”

(I take the opened stylus and try to use it on the app. It’s not very responsive and only picks up every other stroke.)

Employee: *patronizing* “You’re not doing it right.”

(She snatches the stylus out of my hand and tries it herself with the same result. She then notices the peeling off screen protector.)

Employee: “Well of course it doesn’t work; you’ve left the screen protector on.”

(She then notices another customer.)

Employee: “I need to go help that guy. Have a test of that and I’ll be back.”

(She leaves me with the prototype. I’m a bit disappointed that the supposedly best stylus isn’t working but I figure since I’m also here to buy a new screen protector there is no harm taking it off to try the stylus without it. It turns out, it’s not any better, but I wasn’t particularly hopeful. The employee comes back.)

Employee: “So, will you be buying a stylus today?”

Me: “I don’t think I will, thanks. But I am in need of a screen protector.” *jokingly holding up the one I removed* “Would you mind showing me one for my tablet?”

(The employee gives me a funny look.)

Employee: “I don’t think so.”

(I look around the store and see that they’re behind the counter.)

Me: “They’re right there. One for a [my model tablet], please.”

Employee: “I don’t think so, ma’am.”

Me: *frowning in confusion* “Do you need the manager to open the screen protectors?”

Employee: “I’ll get the manager if you like, ma’am, but he’s only going to tell you the same thing.”

Me: “Oookaay.”

(The employee goes away and comes back a few minutes later with a manager. He doesn’t look happy.)

Manager: “Ma’am, my employee didn’t tell you to take the screen protector off. We will not be able to give you a free screen protector just because you stupidly decided to remove it.”

Me: *blinks in shock* “I don’t want a free one.”

Manager: “It goes against our policy, ma’am.”

Me: “To SELL me a screen protector?”

Manager: “What?”

Me: “I took the screen protector off to test the stylus—”

Manager: “And we’re not responsible for that.”

Me: “I know. I’m not blaming you. I just took off the screen protector and now I want to PURCHASE a new one. With money.”

Manager: “Well, why didn’t you say so?”

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!