Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Never A Dull Moment In The Hotel Biz!

, , , | Right | CREDIT: StrawberryBlondeGirl | January 7, 2023

My morning started off with a heartbeat skipping; my boyfriend called me to tell me he had lost my debit card at the store. Thankfully, he found it in the car.

Later, my boss came in to walk an insurance agent around the hotel. This was the result of an incident where a college kid decided to clean off his gun with a bullet still in the chamber, ending with the gun going off and the bullet going through our water main pipe, flooding all four floors of the hotel.

While they were walking around, [Boss]’s father and brother came in and asked me where he was. With how long the week has been at work due to the flooding, I really wanted to say, “Yes, of course, let me pull out my tracking device to see where he is,” but I called [Boss] instead.

Not even five minutes later, I had two more guys, mechanics, walk up looking for [Boss], as well.

Within the next thirty minutes, [Boss]’s father slowly walked back up to me, stood one step away from me — awkward — and started asking me questions. He asked how many checkouts there were, how many arrivals there were today, and whether we were busy. Then, he asked me why we stopped serving coffee. We didn’t; we only serve it for breakfast due to the health crisis, but the guests have coffee machines and packets in the rooms.

I took a step back, only for him to take another step closer to me. It was extremely awkward. After about a minute of silence, he finally started walking away, but he instantly walked back and stood right next to me again. After about another minute, he finally let me be and sat in the lobby.

So, now I had [Boss]’s father and two mechanics just staring at me.

Then, the phone rang.

Caller: “How many rooms can I reserve?”

Me: “Eighty.”

There are eighty total rooms in the hotel.

Caller: “JEEZUS! I don’t need that many!”

Me: “Well, how many would you like?”

We work the front desk; we don’t mind read how many rooms you want over the phone. Know what you’re asking before you ask, simple as that.

The same caller called back about an hour later.

Caller: “Do you have availability for a block of rooms for [Month]? I’m not sure how many people I’ll have, but it’s for a wedding.”

Me: “Our sales manager will be in tomorrow morning; that’s who you’ll want to talk to.”

Almost two hours later, the same person walked into the hotel.

Caller: “Can I make a block of rooms for a wedding in [Month]? I’m not sure what date, and I don’t know how many rooms yet.”

I just told her the same thing I did on the phone and gave her the sales manager’s business card.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!