Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Logo Away, Part 2

, , , , | Right | December 18, 2021

My friend brings work to me from clients who request design services. I never actually meet or speak to this client; my friend is the middleman.

The client has a gym, and he wants a logo and some illustrations for a children’s martial arts class. The client gives clear direction, and the concepts are straightforward, he even provides his own version as a reference.

The client decides to go with my work instead of the work he provided as a reference. I am paid in full, and I quickly forget about the job.

Months later, my partner and I bring our son to his playgroup at the local community centre. We talk to other parents while our son plays with the other kids. There are a pair of parents there for the first time, so we introduce ourselves and chat with them. The dad and I get along great; we end up talking about what we do for a living, and naturally, this guy brings up the gym he runs. At that point, he hands me his card. 

It has the logo I had made months earlier, and the back featured both of my illustrations! I remarked that the design work is quite well done, with the aim to jokingly introduce myself as the designer, but then he responds:

Client: “Thanks mate! I designed the logos and cartoons myself, start to finish!”

We did not become friends.

Related:
Logo Away

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!