Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Listening-Free

, , , , | Working | April 22, 2021

A customer has come in and asked for a gluten-free option that isn’t offered on the menu. Luckily for the customer, a private party came in yesterday and preordered all kinds of gluten-free variants of our menu and we have stock left over. The manager lamented that the stock would go to waste if it wasn’t used soon.

Because of this, I know that I can offer my coeliac customer more gluten-free options than usual (as a one-off) but I just have to check with the kitchen to confirm what stock they have leftover.

This story takes place just as service is opening and the kitchen does not have any orders yet. 

Me: “Hi, [Chef]. Do we have any stock left of the gluten-free options from last night’s private party? We have someone with a severe allergy and I wanted to check for her.”

Chef: “Oh. Well. Yes. But you have to be very clear that this was because we preordered for a private party. We don’t normally have all these options unless someone preorders.”

Me: “Got it. I did let her know that was the case, but if you could let me know what options I can offer, that would be great.”

Chef: “You have to let her know that we don’t usually do this. Tell her that she has to preorder for next time.”

Me: “I did mention that to her. Now, we usually offer the gluten-free fish and chips, but do we have any of the gluten-free pies left from yesterday?”

Chef: *Raises voice* “Listen to me. F***** listen to me. She has to preorder next time.”

Me: “Yes. [Chef]. I understand. I do. But she doesn’t have to preorder this time, and I would like to know what gluten-free options I can offer my customer.”

Chef: “You aren’t listening to me.”

Me: “Okay, [Chef]. I’m listening.”

Chef: “This is a one-off. Tell the customer that this is a one-off and that we don’t usually offer gluten-free versions of [Dish #1] and [Dish #2]. She has to preorder if she wants these things.”

Me: “Yes. I understand. She has to preorder next time. But [Manager] mentioned that we were going to throw away a large amount of food unless the gluten-free overstock was cleared. Can you please tell me what gluten-free options we have leftover from the party, so I know what to offer her right now?

Chef: “For f***’s sake!”

He threw down his hat and stormed away. Confused, I left the kitchen and found the restaurant manager, who was able to confirm which dishes that I could offer. It turned out to be nearly all of them, which led to one happy customer.

Even though it had a happy ending, this interaction is one of the many reasons that I no longer work at that establishment.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!