Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Kindness Leaves Marks That Never Fade

, , , , , | Right | October 22, 2021

When my husband was sixteen, he was involved in a truck/skateboarding accident. Fortunately, he did not suffer any long-term, major damage; however, he still has a wicked scar running across his head and down the back of his neck. As an adult, he is a bit self-conscious about his scar so he keeps his hair long to hide it. He uses hair gel to keep it pulled back.

Unfortunately, he and I have just moved and are in a financial bind. It’s been a long and stressful day and I’ve run to the store to grab some essentials, after having scrimped around for as much change as possible. I’m standing at one of the registers, a long crowd behind me.

The cashier scans my three items: milk, eggs, and hair gel. I quickly pull the crumpled bills and coins out of my pocket and start to count them out. Feeling nervous for taking so long with such a long long line behind me, I eyeball it and hand what I have to the cashier. The cashier counts all of the change.

Cashier: “It’s $1.12 short. ”

I’m embarrassed, tired, and trying not to cry.

Me: “Oh. Um… Well, can we put the hair gel back, then?”

Suddenly, the gentleman behind me pipes up.

Man: “Really? Just a dollar short? Here, let me help you.”

Me: “Oh! Thank you, but that’s not—”

Man: “I insist.”

He hands the cashier a bill and few coins, and the cashier takes them and hands me my receipt. She shakes her head, mumbling.

Cashier: “A dollar. I could’ve done that. You have a nice night.”

By then, I really was in tears, and I thanked the man profusely. He smiled, nodded, and told me to get home safely. Thank you, sir. I’ve never forgotten your kind gesture, and I think of you every time I help others — and when I pick up hair gel for my husband.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!