Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

If Everyone Tells You No, It’s A No

, , , , | Right | June 5, 2023

It has been the policy for as long as I’ve worked as a paralegal in this office (seven years and counting) that the attorneys do not take walk-ins. On this particular morning, [Attorney #1] is in court, [Attorney #2] is on a telephone conference in their office, and [Attorney #3] is meeting with a client in the meeting room. I am answering emails and hear the main door open.

Me: “Good morning. Can I—”

Potential Client: “I need to speak to an attorney right now!”

Me: “As you can see, sir—” *gesturing toward two closed doors and one empty office* “—our attorneys are all currently with clients. Did you have an appointment?”

Potential Client: “No, I just need an attorney! I’ve been asking every office in this building that says it’s a lawyer’s office, but no one will see me!”

Me: “What kind of attorney do you need, sir?”

Potential Client:An attorney!

He goes on to outline a situation that falls within the type of law this firm practices.

Me: “Sir, I’d be happy to see if I can schedule you a consult with one of our attorneys; however, none of them are available right now.”

Potential Client: “I’ll wait!”

Me: “That is not an option; our attorneys have full schedules today and are not available. I can schedule you for tomorrow—”

Potential Client: “My God, what does it take? I’ve been to five or six offices today, and none of them can see me!”

Me: “Sir, did you call ahead and ask about availability?”

Potential Client: “No! I thought it would be like an urgent care clinic! I’d have to wait, but eventually, whichever attorney was free would see me.”

Me: “…that is definitely not how it works in our office. I can schedule you for tomorrow at [time] with [Attorney #1] for [rate].”

Potential Client: “This is a stupid way to run a business! I own my own business, and we know that the customer is always right!”

Me: “Well, sir, seeing as you’ve visited multiple offices and have yet to meet with an attorney, someone is doing something wrong. Here are the names and contact numbers of three other local attorneys who may be able to assist you on short notice. I strongly recommend calling and scheduling first.”

He stalked off. Several hours later, he called the office, apologized for his frustration, and said he’d like to work with our office since I was the only person who had given him referrals and tried to explain why he was having no luck rather than simply turning him away. He is now one of [Attorney #1]’s clients.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!