Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

The Glasses Will Get You Halfway There

, , | Right | May 30, 2018

(I’m the idiot customer in this one. I’m with a scheme at my optician’s office where I pay a set amount a month and get contact lenses sent to me. One of the perks of the scheme is that I get free glasses below a certain price every time my eye exam is due. I got free sunglasses for my last exam as my eyes hadn’t changed that much, but six months later, I find myself needing a new pair of glasses.)

Me: “Hi, I’m on the contact lens scheme and got my last pair of free glasses six months ago, but I need a new pair and I was wondering if I got this £45 pair, if there would be any extra I needed to pay.”

Assistant: “No, nothing extra, but since you’re on the scheme and you’re getting another pair of glasses, you’re eligible for half-price frames on any of the £69 range or above.”

Me: “Oh, no, they’re too expensive for me. I’ve seen this £45 pair, and these are what I want.”

Assistant: “Okaaay…”

(She carries on going through everything with me, but still looking at me in a bit of a funny way. I try the frames on with the sizings, and she says to me that she doesn’t think the frames suit me that well, and would I like to have another look.)

Me: “But there weren’t any others in the £45 range that I wanted, and I can’t afford to… Wait a minute. Half price of £69 is less than £45, isn’t it?”

Assistant: *glad that I’ve finally twigged* “YES! And there are some much nicer ones in that range.”

Me: “I’m an idiot, aren’t I?”

Assistant: “Not even the worst we’ve had today!”


This story is part of the Eye Exam roundup!

Read the next Eye Exam roundup story!

Read the Eye Exam roundup!

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!