Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

The Second Customer Was A Nice Change

, , , , , | Right | May 30, 2018

(I am 16 and working my very first job at a fast food place. I have been there for a total of two weeks, and we are slammed with a line out the door. I am doing my best to keep calm and not stress out, when this guy comes through.)

Me: “How can I help you today?”

Customer: “I’d like a number one and a number five, both mediums.”

Me: “Absolutely! That will be [total].”

(The customer hands me a large bill, I notice him counting change but don’t think anything of it. I get into my drawer and give him $.47 back in change and close my till. As I try to hand him his change back, his face turns bright red in anger.)

Customer: “You idiot! Don’t you see I am counting change here?! I don’t want $.47! I want to give you this $.53 and you give me a dollar! Why would you hand me my change so fast? I obviously wanted to use the change I already had to finish paying! I can’t believe how stupid you are! Take this handful of change, and you give me a dollar, like you should have in the first place!”

(I don’t know what to say. I’m trying to open my till, but it won’t open without a manager code. My managers are both busy dealing with other customers.)

Me: “I’m very sorry, sir. It’ll be just one moment; I can’t open the drawer until a manager comes back over here.”

Customer: “You’ve got to be kidding me! I just want a dollar in change back instead of all these coins! Why is that so hard for you to understand? Are you that stupid?”

(Another customer in line behind him steps forward. I’m crying and can’t even hide it anymore. [Customer #2] is a very large, intimidating guy. Without saying a word, he holds out a dollar and puts his hand out for the change. [Customer #1] sheepishly takes the dollar and hands the guy the coins and goes to wait for his food.)

Customer #2: *breaks into a huge friendly smile and says very loudly for everyone to hear* “Don’t worry about him, honey. Some people just have nothing better to do with their boring, useless lives but come and pick on teenagers. Must be pretty sad!”

(Pretty much everyone in line laughed as [Customer #1] grabbed his food and left. These days, I pause for a second before counting back change, even if they show no signs of holding coins. Just in case.)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!