Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Getting A Slap In The Face For Christmas

, , , , | Right | December 27, 2018

(It is Christmas, and fresh out of high school, I am working a desk where customers can get bonus gifts by showing a receipt for a certain amount. Today, we have crystal swan candy dishes, but they are gone in less than an hour. I’m a big guy, working with [Coworker #1], who is a very petite girl. The line for our counter extends from the center of the store out into the mall.)

Coworker #2: *walking past the line* “We are out of crystal swans; they might have some at our sister location, but as they are very popular, we doubt it.” *repeats*

(Most customers are understanding, until this woman comes to my coworker.)

Customer: “I want a swan.”

Coworker #1: *repeating what has been said half a dozen times while the woman was in line* “We’re sold out, ma’am. You might try our other location, but they’re very popular.”

Customer: “Give me one of the ones you have put aside for you.”

Coworker #1: “We’re not allowed to put any aside; we’re completely out. I’m sorry.”

Customer: “Quit holding out on me, you b****!”

(She punctuates this by slapping my coworker, who staggers back. My customer is horrified and nods encouragement as I sidestep to intercept the customer’s return backhand swing. The woman stops short as she realizes she’s now staring at a large man’s chest instead of a small girl’s face.)

Me: “Is there a problem, ma’am?”

Customer: *sullenly* “That b**** won’t give me my swan!”

Me: *over my shoulder* “Call security.” *to the woman* “I’m sorry, we’re out.”

(I don’t remember exactly what happened after that, except that the woman stayed there calmly waiting. Security came and escorted the woman away as the customers still present consoled my coworker and I tried to get the line moving again. We eventually learned that not only was the woman not penalized by security, they in fact found her a swan from a display somewhere that my counter had no access to. Way to encourage bad behavior, security. Lady, I hope you enjoyed your so-important crystal swan candy dish! Way to show the Christmas spirit!)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!