Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Find Your Own Fidget!

, , , , | Working | April 15, 2024

I have ADHD and keep a bright purple fidget toy attached to my belt with a carabiner whenever I’m at work. (It keeps me from zoning out if I’m under- or over-stimulated, which is really important because if I start to zone out then it can take upwards of ten seconds to get my attention — not a good look to customers, coworkers, or managers.) 

One day, my manager calls me to the customer service desk for something or other. As I start backing up to walk away, she speaks up again.

Manager: “What’s that on your belt?”

Me: “It’s a fidget toy.”

I unclip it and hold it up to show her.

Manager: “Can I try?”

Me: “Sure.”

I hand it over and she stares at it. She looks almost mesmerized as she slowly and methodically flips the switches, clicks the buttons, and circles the tiny joystick, oblivious to anything else. This goes on for longer than I expected, and I start to squirm.

Me: “Could… Could I have it back? There are customers waiting for me.”

Manager: “Huh? Oh, yeah, here you go.”

I clipped it back to my belt and speed-walked back to my area, all the while playing with the joystick. I’ve had plenty of people ask what it was, and one or two little kids have tried to grab it, but I’ve never seen someone so thoroughly engrossed!

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!