Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Entitlement Too Big For One Town

, , , , | Right | November 26, 2021

I am the receptionist at a retail chain’s corporate office, and on Black Friday, I get an angry phone call.

Caller: “I just went to your store in [Strip Mall], but it’s not there anymore!”

Me: “Oh, yes, that store was moved from [Strip Mall] to [City ten minutes away]. I’m very sorry about that inconvenience.”

Caller: “It is inconvenient! It’s Black Friday, and I have things I need to buy, and the store isn’t here! Why did you move it?”

Me: “The lease was up at [Strip Mall], and it was decided to move to [City] where there was more space.”

Caller: “Why didn’t you tell me about this?”

Me: “I’m sorry, ma’am, there have been signs up for months at that location, and if you subscribe to our emails, that information was given out several times.”

Caller: “Well, I didn’t hear anything, and now I’m here, and the store is gone! It’s Black Friday, and I have things I need to buy this morning!”

Me: “Yes… Well, I can give you the address to the new location in [City].”

Caller: “I don’t have time to go to [City]! I need to shop here! But the store is gone!”

Me: *Exasperated* “I’m sorry, ma’am, but there’s nothing I can do for you except to give you the new address—”

Caller: “Don’t give the new address!”

Me: *Reaching the end of my rope* “Okay, then, what do you want me to do?”

Caller: “Put the store back!”

Me: “…”

Caller: “…”

Me: “Ma’am, that’s just not going to happen.”

Caller: “Well, I need these items now, and I’m not driving to [City], so what are you going to do for me?!”

I am very tempted to laugh hysterically and hang up on her, but then a light bulb goes off. I am very carefully keeping the sarcasm out of my voice.

Me: “Well, ma’am, I’m not sure if you’re aware, but you can shop online and still get our Black Friday deals! No crowds! No waiting in line! Even better, some deals are only available online, so they’re extra special deals that you simply cannot get in the store!”

The woman gasps as though a whole new world has been opened up just for her.

Caller: “Oh, my God! Really? Thanks so much! I’ll do that!”

After I put the phone down, I just put my head down on the desk and started laughing. Online shopping on Black Friday is apparently the newest, craziest fad that absolutely no one has ever heard of.


This story is part of our Black Friday 2023 roundup!

Read the next Black Friday 2023 roundup story!

Read the Black Friday 2023 roundup!

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!