Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Don’t Have A Head For This Business

, , , | Right | September 9, 2019

(I work in an apparel store in a popular sports town. As a supervisor, I often answer the phone to avoid having the cashiers deal with difficult questions. As a female, I often have customers disregard the answers I provide in favor of a male cashier because they “know more” about the sport and apparel we sell.)

Me: “[Store] in [Location], this is [My Name]; how can I help you?”

Caller: “Hi, is this [Store]?”

Me: “Yes.”

Caller: “I was wondering if you had this hat in stock.”

(They explain the item and I go in search of it, leaving the phone on the counter.)

Me: *returning* “Yes, we have that in stock. Was there a specific size you wanted? It comes in small/medium and large/extra-large.”

Caller: “Oh. I heard a man talking while you had me on hold. Can I speak to him? He will know which will work better.”

Me: “Uh, no, sorry. I’m the supervisor; I can help you.”

Caller: “Wonderful! So, my son is [average height, average build]. Which size will fit him better?”

Me: “It’s hard to say without them trying it on. Head sizes vary drastically between people. I know full-grown adults that wear youth-sized hats. You’d have to ask him what size hat he needs.”

Customer: “Well, that’s no help. You should have just transferred me to the other guy.” *click*

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!