Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Could’ve Been An Email, Part 2

, , , , | Right | February 16, 2023

I’m a freelance mapmaker who lives in the midwest of the US. I do much of my work remotely for clients on both coasts. I almost never meet in person; clients are able to email specs to me, and with a few emails or phone conversations, I know what they want.

I get a call from a woman at a local college. She wants me to make a map of their campus, and she has a particular style in mind — one that she has seen on a print brochure from another local college.

Me: “Just email me your current map and an example of the style you want, and I will be able to give you an estimate of time and charges.”

The client’s campus is about an hour away from me, and it’s not really worth the time and gas to drive there and back for a single map.

Client: “Oh, no. I really need to discuss this in person.”

I agree to meet her at 2:00 pm the next day. I arrive at her office a couple of minutes early. [Client] is not there, but the receptionist knows about the appointment and assures me that [Client] is also aware and will be right in.

By 2:15, [Client] has not appeared, so I tell the receptionist that I need to be on my way. Just as I stand up to leave, [Client] breezes in the door.

Client: “Are you my map girl?”

I am her age or older. I don’t say yes; I just tell her I’m [My Name]. She does not apologize for being late.

She pulls out the map of her campus and then shows me the style sample. It has three-dimensional rendered buildings, clearly something done by someone who works with architectural software.

Me: “That’s really nice, but that’s outside my area of expertise. I’d suggest that you contact the other college, find out who did their map, and talk to them about doing something similar for you.”

Client: “Oh, we did that already, but it was expensive. I was hoping you could do it for cheap.”

At that point, I told her I didn’t think I could help her, and I left.

Related:
Could’ve Been An Email

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!