Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Childlike Parenting

, , , , | Right | June 6, 2012

(I am working in the children’s section of the bookstore. A parent comes in looking for a learn-to-read series for their kid.)

Parent: “I want something that will teach my kid how to read.”

Me: “Well, there are a few good series over here. My little cousin used Bob Books and really liked them.”

Parent: “No, my kid needs sound too. Do you have anything like that?”

Me: “Sure, there are two right here.”

Parent: “So, if I buy one of these, I can just let my kid learn to read all by themselves? I won’t have to help them at all?”

Me: “Um, you want a learn-to-read series that doesn’t require you actually spend any time reading with your child?”

Parent: “Yes. Absolutely. You have that, right?”

Me: “No, we don’t. Any child who is learning to read requires some parental involvement. You could let them read to you as a way of checking on their progress. That would be the absolute bare minimum.”

Parent: “Well, that sucks! So much for technology improving our lives!”


This story is part of our Children Reading roundup!

Read the next Children Reading roundup story!

Read the Children Reading roundup!

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!