Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Canvassing Your Options

, , , , , | Working | May 3, 2020

I paint in my spare time, and so I frequent a nearby arts supply store. I am looking for a specific size of canvas— 10″ x 20″ — to finish the third of a three-piece series I’m working on. However, the only 10″ x 20″ canvases I can find are in a package of six. This isn’t a problem, but the top canvas has about a one-inch tear in it, rendering it unusable, so I really would only get five canvases out of it. I take the pack to the cashier.

I’ve worked retail before, so I know of the possibility of damage discounts, and I am decidedly NOT a jerk to cashiers when I ask about these things.

Me: “Hi. I wanted to see if you’d be able to give me a damage discount on this pack of canvases. These are the only 10” x 20”s you have, and I can’t use this top one because of that tear.”

Cashier: “You’re sure that’s the only one? There are no others on the floor?”

Me: “Yeah, I walked around to all the places you’ve got canvases a couple of times to make sure. I need this size, and this is the only pack you’ve got. Not even singles.”

Cashier: *Very hesitant* “I don’t know if I’m allowed to do that. I’d need to talk to my manager.”

Me: “That’s fine.”

The cashier calls a manager and he comes to her register. She explains the situation and my request. The manager frowns.

Manager: “And there weren’t any other canvases in this size?”

I’m a little annoyed but understand that they have to ask.

Me: “No, I’ve looked all around.”

Manager: “Well, our only other option would be to open up the package and resell each one by itself. We could let you buy one that way.”

Me: “What? No. I’ll still use all the good ones. You don’t have to unpackage it. I just don’t want to pay for six canvases when I’ll only be able to use five. Do you see what I mean?”

The manager pauses, and I’m confused as to exactly why they’re so hesitant. If they can’t do it, they could just say so. And if they can, why the reluctance? Both he and the cashier seem uninterested in giving me an answer at all, let alone granting my request. Finally, the manager speaks in a “you’re not going to like this” tone.

Manager: “Well, it’s not going to be a very big discount. You’re not going to save much at all.”

Me: “Well, how much would you take off if you were to do it?”

Manager: *In the same tone* “Probably only ten percent.”

Me: “Oh. That’s fine. I don’t need a huge discount. I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t paying for product I wouldn’t use.”

The manager pauses again and shrugs.

Manager: “Okay, then.”

They finally put the discount through, and I left. It was the weirdest transaction, like they were just acting like they were trying to accommodate me by giving me a “low” discount, and hoping I’d just tell them to forget it. I wasn’t rude and I wasn’t pushy. I just wanted to know if it was an option. I wouldn’t have even cared if they’d said no, so long as they gave me an answer instead of playing games!

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!