Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Be Aware Who Has The “Keys” To The Kingdom

, , , , | Right | April 23, 2018

(I work full-time, Monday to Friday, and I also work every second Saturday on reception. I’m a very versatile employee, with lots of knowledge and experience across the whole dealership. I have worked here for almost four years, so I know quite a lot about processes. A man rings in, who is an owner of the brand I work for, but not one of our direct customers.)

Me: “Good afternoon! [Dealership]. [My Name] speaking.”

Caller: “Hi, service department, please.”

Me: “I’m sorry, sir, service closed at 12 pm.” *it is now almost four pm* “But I work with the service department; perhaps I can help you?”

Caller: “I’ve lost the key to my car, and I need you to give me the code so I can cut a new one.”

Me: “Oh, sorry to hear that; I’m guessing you don’t have a spare?”

Caller: “No, I don’t, so can you just give me the code?”

Me: “Unfortunately, due to strict security, sir, there aren’t ‘codes’ we can give out to cut a key. All of the keys are laser cut in either Singapore or Germany, and the information is transferred electronically–“

Caller: “That’s a lie! I know you have a code, so just give it to me!”

Me: “Sir, with all due respect, I cannot give you something that simply doesn’t exist. Even if there was a ‘code,’ I couldn’t and wouldn’t give it out to someone on the phone.”

Caller: “Well, sweetie, you obviously don’t know what you are talking about; all keys have a code you can cut them to, so just look on your little computer thing in front of you and give it to me.”

Me: “I don’t know you from a bar of soap, so let me give you some advice: the codes do not exist. I cannot give you a code.”

Caller: “You lying f****** b****! You just don’t want to help me! Give me the f****** code!”

Me: “I have absolutely no reason to lie to you. Now, please be advised that these calls are recorded, I have your mobile number–” *it is displayed on my switchboard* “—and I am now hanging up on you. Good luck with replacing the key that you lost! Have a nice day.”

(With that, I hung up on him, wrote down his mobile number, and seriously contemplated prank calling him at three in the morning… It’s just a pity that I won’t lower myself to that level!)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!