Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

A Regular Complaint

, , , , | Right | April 27, 2019

(I work weekends in a small but busy family restaurant. I have just turned 18, so I am now able to handle beer and wine, and I have now taken over a few shifts as a waitress. We have a regular that comes in around twice a week and orders at the bar. He is very friendly amongst the staff and has been watching me shadow and train with other servers. This particular night, he has come in with his two kids and his wife, who is known to be a bit of a handful. As I am getting their table drinks, a large party comes in and sits in my section — a first for me. I try not to panic, and fortunately, one of the senior servers agrees to help me take care of my section.)

Regular: “Well, this place is just about packed to the brim, huh?”

Me: *serving their drinks* “Yeah, I’m still trying to keep up. My section suddenly got really full, so [Coworker] is going to help me out and make sure everyone gets taken care of. We’ll be by to check on you; just let one of us know when you’re ready to order!”

(The table nods and they seem sympathetic, so I turn around to help the party. A few minutes later, I look up and happen to notice the regular’s wife up at the register talking to the owner. I don’t think too much of it, as the owner and regular are on a first-name basis, and many of the regulars like to socialize. As I’m heading back to the table, I realize that their drinks have been abandoned, half-empty. They show no sign of returning, so I clear off the table, then ask the owner what’s up.)

Manager: “Well, [Regular]’s wife said that their server told them that she couldn’t serve them because there was another table that was more important. She kind of threw a fit and said she just wanted to leave. I told her that I’d comp their drinks, and that I’d investigate. So, what’d you actually say to set her off this time?”

(I explained what had happened and my boss wasn’t mad. The following week, when the regular came in by himself, I apologized to him for any misunderstanding, and asked if he’d extend the apology to his wife. He waved me off and told me not to worry about it; he thought she was just looking for attention, anyway.)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!