Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

A Little White Fry

, , , , , | Right | January 11, 2023

I work in a small family-owned restaurant. The prices are reasonable as long as you don’t do too many substitutions or add-ons. Chips are included with every meal but the upcharge for fries or a salad instead is $3-4.

An older gentleman comes to order take-out and he’s on the phone with whom I assume is his wife. He orders both their meals and is giving me his complete attention, so I’m not annoyed by the phone call because it isn’t busy and he just wants to make sure her order is correct.

I ask about the sides. He has me repeat the options so he can relay them to his wife.

Customer: On the phone. “Don’t worry about the cost; I’ll get you whatever side you’d like. Do you want the fries?” *To me, after a pause.* “How much for the sweet potato fries?”

Me: “$3.”

Customer: On the phone. “They’re $1.” *Gives me a knowing look.*

I put in the sweet potato fries and finished the transaction. When his order was up he gave me a fist bump and wished me well. I told all my coworkers about the gentleman’s white lie and how nice it was that he wanted to get her what she wanted.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!