Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

A Grave Error In Judgement

, , , , , | Working | July 21, 2020

My best friend of ten years has just passed away. I call into work to take some time off.

Manager #1: “This is [Manager #1] speaking.”

Me: “It’s [My Name]… I… I’m…”

I start crying.

Me: “My best friend just died. I’m not gonna make it in today.”

Manager #1: “Oh, my God, I’m so sorry. Take some time off. I’ll check in on you later, okay?”

Me: “I… Thank you.”

I spend the next few hours mostly laying in bed and crying off and on. I get a phone call from work about an hour after my shift was supposed to start. I answer, and it’s a different manager on the phone.

Manager #2: “Is this [My Name]?”

Me: “Yeah?”

Manager #2: “Do you really think this is a good enough excuse to skip work?”

Me: “What?”

Manager #2: “Oh, come on. Your friend died? Is their funeral gonna be in the Bahamas? Will you need to take paid time off for this?”

I’m too stunned to respond. She continues harassing me, accusing me of wanting to party.

Manager #2: “If you think you’ll have a job—”

I suddenly hear the first manager in the background.

Manager #1: “What the h*** are you doing?!”

Manager #2: “I’m letting [My Name] know that we won’t tolerate her bulls***!”

Manager #1: “Are you f****** kidding me?! Give me the phone.” 

I hear the phone being passed over.

Manager #1: “I’m so sorry about this. You have nothing to worry about. I’ll handle things here.”

The second manager got suspended and transferred to a different store. The first manager had a beautiful flower arrangement delivered for my friend’s funeral.


This story is part of our July 2020 Roundup – the best stories of the month!

Read the next July 2020 Roundup story!

Read the July 2020 Roundup!

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!