Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

A Frosty Cup Of “WTF DO YOU WANT?!”

, , , , , | Right | April 16, 2023

I worked several fast food and retail jobs at once to make ends meet in 2020 and 2021. I’ve dealt with a lot of intense, abusive, and just plain weird customers during my employment in these industries. We often had a lot of shady people come about during the night shift at this particular fast food chain location. I was working in the drive-thru.

Me: “Welcome to [Fast Food Chain]. What can I get for you today?”

Customer: “I would like a cone in a cup. But I don’t want the cup.”

Me: “Okay, so no cup. You would like just the cone, then?”

Customer: “No. Just a cone in a cup, but without the cup.”

Me: “Yes, ma’am, no cup. The ice cream will come in a cone if there’s no cup. If you don’t want the cone, then it would be in a regular sundae cup. Which one would you like exactly?”

Customer: “I WANT A CONE IN A CUP BUT WITHOUT THE CUP!”

Me: “Okay… I can give you no cup, miss, but the ice cream will still be in a cone.”

Customer: “NO!”

I was confused as to what exactly this customer wanted. We only had two standard options for soft-serve ice cream at this chain, and it was either in a cone or a sundae cup. Sometimes customers asked for both to prevent spills in their car, which we were accustomed to, but she seemed to have declined both options, yet she indicated that she still wanted ice cream somehow.

Me: “No cone, no cup… What exactly do you want, miss?”

Customer: “YOU’RE NOT LISTENING TO ME! I WANT A CONE IN A CUP WITH NO CUP!”

She then angrily sped out of the drive-thru, shouting expletives as she whizzed by. I was so exhausted from dealing with customers’ crap at that point that I thought out loud into my headset, too tired to care if anyone heard:

Me: “She wanted a cone in a cup… with no cone and no cup. What the h*** was that?”

Sorry that I can’t somehow serve levitating ice cream. Maybe I could just throw ice cream straight into her lap from the drive-thru window?

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!