Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Unfiltered Story #291555

, , | Unfiltered | May 14, 2023

In middle school I get into a very long fantasy series—22 books in all, each one about 500 pages long. Unfortunately, I get into them about ten years after their peak popularity and copies are nearly impossible for me to find.

My middle school librarian knows me quite well, so when she hears about my trouble finding books in the series, she tells me that they have the entire series in the library storage room, where they keep books that are older and seldom borrowed. She gives me permission to borrow books from that series from the storage shelf, even though students aren’t typically allowed in there, and I’m ecstatic. Unless the door happens to be locked, I can return the old book, get a new one from the back room, and use the computer checkout without any hassle.

The library is frequented by the tech teacher, a strict older lady, as the computer lab is inside the library. I’ve never had the best relationship with her, as she often nagged me to go be social whenever I wanted to spend my fifteen-minute morning break reading in the library. She sees me coming out of the storage room with a new book.

Tech Teacher: “What were you doing back there?”

Me: “Getting a book.” *holds it up to show her*

Tech Teacher: “But you can’t be back there! Only the librarian can go back there.”

Me: “Mrs. [Librarian] said I could. This series is only in the back room.”

Tech Teacher: “But—students aren’t allowed back there . . .”

She was still muttering something in that vein as I checked out the book and left the library to find somewhere quiet to read for the rest of my break. Surprisingly, I never got in trouble, or maybe her husband—the school principal—made her see sense.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!