Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Unfiltered Story #231042

, , | Unfiltered | April 8, 2021

(The grocery store I work in sells a wide variety of gift cards, most of which give you the option to choose how much money you want to put on them. Usually the customer will tell me how much they would like on the gift card before I have to ask.)
Me: “Hello! How are you doing today?”
Customer: “Hi! I’m fine.” *Hands me a gift card* “I would like 45 dollars on this.”
Me: “45 dollars?”
Customer: “Yes.”
Me: “Sure thing!”
(I load the card with 45 dollars, the customer pays, and leaves with no issue. Everything is going great until about an hour later, when I’m working at the Customer Service desk and the same customer comes back.)
Me: *Recognizing the customer* “Hi! Was there something wrong with our previous transaction?”
Customer: “How much did I tell you to put on my gift card?”
Me: “45 dollars?”
Customer: “I said 25 dollars.”
Me: “Oh! I’m so sorry, I guess I heard you wrong!”
Customer: “YEAH, I guess you did.”
(Since I’m pretty new to the Customer Service desk and I’m still training, I have to ask a co-worker to help me solve this issue.)
Co-Worker: *To me* “There’s nothing you can do to fix a gift card once it’s activated, you’ll just have to pay out of pocket for a new one.” (My Co-Worker starts raising their voice at this point) “You should KNOW better than this!”
Customer: *Loudly sighs after listening in on our conversation* “I’m not going to MAKE her do that, I’ll just TAKE IT.” *Storms out in a huff*
(I think the worst part is the fact that I confirmed her original dollar amount for the gift card and she said it was right. I ended up getting in trouble for it, and my Co-Worker was not happy with me for the rest of the day.)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!