Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Unfiltered Story #201585

, , , | Unfiltered | July 26, 2020

(I work in a call center answering questions from visitors. We do, however, occasionally get calls from locals about all manner of things. This one really took the cake.)

Me: *answers phone* “Visitor information, this is [My Name] speaking. How can I help you today?”

Caller: “Yes, [My Name], I need to speak with the alderman of [Area].”

Me: “Sure, one moment please.”

(I put the caller on hold and turn to my coworker.)

Me: “What is an alderman and how do I find one?”

(My coworker is as bewildered as I am but suggests I give the caller the number for the city, since we only give visitor information.)

Me: “Thank you for holding. Unfortunately I don’t have that information, but the city will be able to find that for you. Their number is [Number].”

(The caller starts laughing, and I am starting to feel relieved until he speaks again.)

Caller: “That’s funny. So you’re telling me my tax dollars go to pay his salary, but I can’t even speak with him?”

Me: “Sir, that’s not what I’m saying at all. I could not find the contact information for the alderman of [Area], but the city will be able to give it to you.”

Caller: “But that’s what I called you for. Now you’re telling me I have to call someone else?”

Me: “Yes, sir. We are just the visitors bureau so we don’t have the kind of information you’re looking for. I apologize for the inconvenience.”

Caller: “Well I gotta say, you haven’t been very much help.”

Me: “I’m sorry to hear that. Is there anything else I can do for you?”

Caller: “I guess not.”

Me: “Alright, then you have a great day and good luck.”

(I’ve had ruder customers, but this person was certainly one of the odder ones. What did he think he was going to achieve by calling VISITOR information?)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!