Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Your Fate Is Sealed

| Working | October 1, 2015

(I work at a store that sells electronics, so whenever we process a return we must check the product and its contents to ensure nothing’s been stolen. Usually we have a technology associate do this, but usually there is some leeway depending on the product. I am manning the cash. It should be noted that it is the back-to-school season and so our lines are very long.)

Customer: “I was wondering if I could return this laptop?”

Me: “Sure thing, let me just get someone to okay the product.”

(I page for a technology associate, all of whom are with customers.)

Me: “Sorry, it’ll be just a few minutes.”

(After waiting a few minutes, I repeat the page.)

Customer: “It’s unopened.”

(I check the product and notice that it is, in fact, sealed. Given that the tech associates are known to take their time and my line is getting longer and longer, I decide to process the return anyways, knowing that nothing could have been stolen. In the middle of processing the return, however, a tech associate finally shows up.)

Coworker: “What are you doing?”

Me: “I’m processing the return for this laptop.”

Coworker: “But you have to get it checked.”

Me: “I already checked it; it’s sealed.”

Coworker: “But you have to get a tech associate to check it.”

Me: “But it’s sealed.”

Coworker: “But a tech associate has to check it.”

Me: “Fine.”

(Looks at the item and sees that it’s sealed.)

Coworker: “Go ahead. Make sure to check with an associate next time.”

(The best part? He then came back fifteen minutes later to criticise me for about ten minutes because, despite my long line and the fact that the item was clearly unopened, I hadn’t called over a tech associate.)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!