Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Who Keeps Giving These People Credit?

, , , , | Right | September 10, 2023

A customer is checking out at our large department store and is attempting to make a rather large purchase using their store credit card. It declines.

Me: “Sir, your card has been declined.”

Customer: “Why? It’s a [Store] card, and you’re [Store]. You can’t decline it!”

Me: “We would happily accept it, but it seems there might be insufficient funds on the card. If you paid some of it off, you could use it again. I can process that here for you if you like.”

Customer: “Okay, well then, let’s do that.”

He stands there doing nothing, looking at me expectantly.

Me: “Sir?”

Customer: “What are you waiting for? Let’s do that thing that you said.”

Me: “I would need a card or some cash.”

Customer: “You’re holding the card!”

Me: “Sir, you cannot pay off your [Store] credit card with your [Store] credit card.”

Customer: “Why not?”

Me: “It would be like trying to blow up a balloon using only the air inside the balloon.”

Customer: “Why are we talking about balloons?”

Me: “Never mind, sir. The point is that you have to use another card — a debit card — to pay off a credit card.”

Customer: “Why?”

Me: “Sir, you’d be trying to pay off the money you owe using the money you owe. It wouldn’t achieve anything.”

Customer: “Wait… I owe you guys money?”

Me: *Without skipping a beat* “I’m going to transfer you to my supervisor.” 

I’m not paid enough to deal with that much stupid.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!