Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Un-Tucking-believable!

, , | Right | August 9, 2021

I am training a new cashier on the register, and it’s going pretty well. Our chain does its best to keep our customers happy. This means that if a sale sign is placed incorrectly and the customer grabs an item that they THINK is on sale but isn’t, we are permitted to adjust the price. The only exception is sale signs that describe the product, as those are typically used for brand-name products.

I’m hovering by the register while the employee rings people out, stepping in if she has any questions, but otherwise not interfering.

Customer: “Just this today, please.”

Coworker: “All right, ma’am, your total will be [total].”

Customer: “Are you sure? The sign said 40% off.”

I step forward, figuring that I’ll save my coworker the walk and explain it to her later.

Me: “Ma’am, if you can show me the sign and I can verify that it was incorrectly placed, we’ll be happy to discount that for you.”

I follow her to our menswear department, where we have a line of shirts called “[Brand] Untucked.”

Customer: “See, here, by the T-shirts!”

I scan the sign and wince because I prefer to be able to give the discount but can’t violate policy.

Me: “I’m sorry, ma’am, but those are actually for the untucked shirts on the other side of the fixture. The shirt you grabbed will be full price.”

We start walking back to the till while I explain this, just in time for my coworker to hear this gem.

Customer: “But he doesn’t wear them tucked in!”

Cue her storming out. It was an interesting first day for my coworker!

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!