Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

This Is A Bad Sign, Part 7

, , , | Right | May 2, 2024

The store I work at now generally makes sale signs by hand, and usually, I write, “Prices as marked,” to avoid the question, “Is it an extra 30% off of the price I see?” and the like.

However, I think that writing this is unnecessary for the few Valentine’s Day chocolates we have left on February 15, so long as I write the sale price beside the original price and indicate on the sign that only the specific brand of Valentine’s chocolates is on sale.

Sign: “30% off [Brand] Valentine’s Chocolates.”

The 30% is slightly bigger and in red rather than black.

I put the chocolates on a small table near the door that has great visibility (and is away from other, non-sale chocolates) because I just want them to be gone.

This table has some other small things on it but nothing by the same brand, no other chocolates or food, and nothing else Valentine’s-like. I thought I was safe putting the palm-sized made-with-Sharpie sign in front of the few small boxes of chocolate on this table.

No.

Customer #1: “Why are you charging me full price for that [reusable bag]?! It should be 30% off.”

Me: “The sign says only the Valentine’s chocolates by [Brand] are 30% off.”

Customer #1: “That is incredibly misleading!”

The next customer:

Customer #2: “No! Those bookmarks are 30% off!”

The bookmarks were on the table next to it, not even the same table!

This happened three more times this morning, so I rewrote the sign so that the font is bigger and extra descriptive, but jeez, it’s not like I’m trying to trick anyone!

Related:
This Is A Bad Sign, Part 6
This Is A Bad Sign, Part 5
This Is A Bad Sign, Part 4
This Is A Bad Sign, Part 3
This Is A Bad Sign, Part 2

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!