Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

The Sorry State Of Customer Service

| Right | October 12, 2014

(It is my first day working the customer service desk, and a customer is cussing and yelling because I can’t do a return for him. One of my coworkers, famous for being very patient and good with difficult customers, happens to wander by. I’m nervous, so I flag her over.)

Coworker: “Oh, [My Name], do you want some help?”

Customer: “Help?! I need help! That f***** b**** won’t take back my return! This is s***!”

Coworker: “Did you call the manager?”

Me: “Yeah, and he said we couldn’t do anything.”

Customer: “And that’s bulls***!”

(My coworker looks unimpressed. I explain why we can’t do the return to her.)

Coworker: “Hmm. Okay, well, I know he said no, but I think he’s actually wrong. I’ll take care of this. Sir, will you come with me?”

Customer: “No! I’m standing here at this d*** desk until you fix my d*** problem!”

Coworker: “Okay. Suit yourself.”

(The customer keeps swearing and yelling until my coworker returns.)

Coworker: “Okay, we’re going to make an exception. Boss’s orders.”

Customer: “Finally! I’ve been here for f***** ever!”

(I do the return, and as I’m about to hand the customer his money, my coworker holds her hand up to stop me.)

Coworker: “Sir, I want to make it very clear that if I had any choice at all, I wouldn’t do this for you, and if you EVER come in here again and swear or yell at my coworkers, my boss, or me, I will personally see that you are escorted from this store, by the police if necessary. You should be ashamed of yourself for acting like this and making [My Name] feel like she’s not doing a good job because she is doing a marvellous one.”

Customer: “I… I’m sorry.”

Coworker: “No, you aren’t, and quite frankly, I don’t care. I’ve said my piece. Now here is your money, Sir. Have a splendid Thanksgiving.”


This story is part of the Crazy-First-Day roundup!

Read the next Crazy-First-Day roundup story!

Read the Crazy-First-Day roundup!

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!