Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

That’s Not How Lounges Work; That’s Not How Any Of Them Work

, , , , | Right | July 10, 2019

(I work for a widely-known credit card company. One of our cards is partnered with an airline. The card benefits include getting two free lounge tickets to access the club each year. However, if you do close the account permanently, the benefits on the card are no longer available to you. This customer doesn’t seem to realize this.)

Me: “Thank you for choosing [Company]. My name is [My Name]; may I have your name?”

(The customer gives me her name.)

Me: “Thank you, ma’am. How can I help you?”

Customer: “My lounge passes aren’t working.”

(I look up immediately at the top right of my screen where it shows the status of the account. It shows, “Account closed by [Card Member].” I think I am crazy, but I have to bring this up.)

Me: “I’m sorry the passes aren’t working, but I apologize. This account was closed out last week by you.”

Customer: “I know I did.”

(There is a long awkward silence, and I think she is going to say something else but she doesn’t.)

Me: “So… does that answer your question?”

Customer: “No, because my passes aren’t working. I have a six-hour layover and I need to get into the club.”

Me: “Again, I apologize. But you closed this account; that means the benefits are no longer accessible for you.”

Customer: “That doesn’t make sense. I’ve been a customer with you since the 90s, and you can’t just turn on my passes so I can go in?”

(At this point, I’m frustrated and slightly dumbfounded by how dumb this lady is.)

Me: “Ma’am, when you have an account with this card, the benefits are yours to you as often as you want. That’s why people pay this annual fee for it. However, if you cancel our services and stop paying the annual fee, the benefits are not available to you any longer.”

Customer: “I think that’s just poor customer service.”

Me: “I’m sorry you feel that way, but the rules are the same with every business. We make money off of people using our cards.”

Customer: “Whatever, I hate you guys anyway. Will never use your sh**ty business again.”

(Before I could ask if there was anything else, she hung up. Thank God, too, because if I hung up she would’ve gotten a survey and left me with an all-ones rating.)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!