Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Saying I Look Nice Does Not Make You Nice

, , , , | Right | March 31, 2023

I am doing some shelving at a bookstore. A middle-aged man and woman walk in. I smile, say hello, and tell them to let me know if they need anything. I am wearing a knee-length dress with a high collar, leggings, legwarmers, and motorcycle boots with no heel. Unfortunately, this is relevant to the story.

The man walks up to me.

Me: “Can I help you?”

Customer: “I could say something inappropriate right now, but I won’t.”

Me: “Okay, then.”

Customer: *Leans in and whispers* “I was going to say that you look really hot in that outfit.”

Me: “That makes me extremely uncomfortable, and I don’t think it’s okay to say to someone at their workplace.”

He looks surprised and skulks away. They leave the store soon after. I tell my manager about the interaction. Later in the day, she gets a phone call.

Customer: “Can the girl in the brown dress tell people to leave the store?”

Manager: “Is there a problem?”

Customer: “I just told her that she looked nice, and she told me to get out.”

Manager: “That’s not the way I heard it.”

Customer: “Well, she told me to leave.”

Manager: “She didn’t, but I will. Feel free to come back when you’re not going to harass our booksellers.”

I didn’t see that man again, and [Manager] is the best boss I’ve ever had.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!