Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Room For Annoyance

| Right | December 2, 2016

(I work in reception at a small family-run hotel and I am helping in the restaurant one afternoon. We have a large group of senior citizens staying with us. One of them calls reception, and as I am downstairs in the restaurant, it gets bumped downstairs.)

Guest: “Hi, can you transfer me to Mr. Smith’s room, please?”

Me: “Sure. I’m down in the restaurant at the moment, so I don’t know Mr. Smith’s room number. Would you happen to know so I can transfer you?”

Guest: “No.”

Me: “All right, then. If you’ll give me just a moment, I’ll transfer you to the reception desk and take your call up there.”

(As I hang up the phone, it disconnects the call. The guest, however, thinks he is still on hold, and keeps his phone off the hook. I get back to reception and am unable to call him back, as the line is busy, so I run up to his room on the top floor.)

Me: *knocking on the door* “Hello! It’s [My Name] from reception! Sorry, but we were disconnected.”

Guest: *not even opening the door* “What?”

Me: “We got disconnected so I wasn’t able to transfer your call.”

Guest: “Are you on the phone?!”

Me: “No… I’m outside your door!”

Guest: *still not opening the door* “Well… can you transfer me to Mr. Smith’s room?”

Me: “Not from here! But you can call him by dialing his room number, 114.”

Guest: “hrrrumph…”

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!